Genisis

THE CONCEPT


As I sit wandering and browsing the infinite universe of the internet looking for ideas for this years' haunt I found some easy to follow DIY instructions for animated skeletons. Being how I just adore The Nightmare Before Christmas I have decided to go with that theme and create some animatronic characters to sing and move in my Halloween / Christmas animated light show. My goal is to create several of the characters in life size scale along with a few of the movie props as well. This blog will be a documentation of this journey to reality.


Friday, February 4, 2011

Treasure Chest

I took a break today from organizing and worked on the Treasure Chest.  I got this idea after finding some faceted lights out at the forklift place.  I am thinking I will install a Lynx Express inside the chest and hook 9 lights up individually to one each of the16 programmable dimming channels leaving 7 for something else I will go into at a later date (maybe a drunken pirate with a parrot).  I took some photos of the process to make a shelf for the "treasure" to sit on.  So in creating this it will give the illusion that the entire chest is filled with booty!     So here is the chest a nice rough old looking piece I picked up over a year ago for free.
 The latch has been bust off but I have the piece and as soon as I find my bolt cutter and cut the crappy lock off I will but it back on.
 In side as you can see on the right I installed a chain to hold the lid up when open.

 In the front and rear there were two horizontal wood pieces probably for a shelf at one point, I moved then further down to allow ample room.
 Next I took and cut and nailed some 1x4s to give more support

 Next I had a piece of paneling type wood and put that down.

 Because I want this to be able to sit outside in any weather I decided to also cove the top with a piece of plastic sheeting.
Actually I scrapped the sheeting idea.  Instead I used it as a template for size.
I took a piece of pvc and cut it at different angles and lengths to make a space for the lights to fit in. A couple were at severe angles and wouldn't stand on their own, I just taped them onto the plastic sheet.
Next, just start layering with spray foam.  I found out after doing this that the little straw makes it not as fluffy when it comes out.  For my second bottle the straw broke and I just put on a pair of gloves and did it like whipped cream.  It filled in alot better.






So this is where I am at.  Next, painting and decorating.